*** Free delivery on orders over £40 ***
*** Same day dispatch when ordering before 3pm ***

Christmas Hazards for Dogs

Dogs love Christmas just as much as people do. They get excited when they see all the decorations, and they can't wait to get their noses into all the presents. While Christmas is a fun time for dogs, it can also be dangerous. Here are some of the most common hazards for dogs during Christmas. 

line of christmas tree

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees are one of the most common hazards for dogs during the holiday season. Dogs can be tempted to chew on the branches of the tree, which can result in cuts or punctures to the mouth and throat. Additionally, the tree water can contain bacteria that can make your dog sick. 

christmas tinsel


Tinsel is another hazard that is commonly found around Christmas time. If ingested, tinsel can cause blockages in your dog's intestines. Symptoms of a tinsel blockage include vomiting, diarrhoea, and lethargy. If you think your dog has ingested tinsel, it is important to take them to the vet immediately. 

christmas pointsetta

Christmas Plants

Many Christmas plants, such as poinsettia’s, holly and mistletoe are poisonous to dogs if eaten. Symptoms of plant poisoning include drooling, sickness, runny tummies and tremors. Take a trip to the vets if you suspect your dog has had a nibble of the Christmas plants. 

christmas chocolate


Chocolate is one of the most common food hazards for dogs. Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs in large quantities. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased heart rate, and seizures. Chocolate is such a treat for humans but the opposite for our canine family members. 

christmas lights

Christmas Lights

Christmas lights can also be a hazard for dogs. If your dog chews on electrical cords, they could suffer from burns or electrocution. Additionally, if your dog knocks over a Christmas tree that is plugged into an outlet, they could start a fire. Therefore, it is important to keep all electrical cords out of reach of your dog and to unplug any lights when you are not home to supervise them. 

christmas turkey

Christmas Food

Christmas food can also be hazardous to dogs if they are not properly supervised. For example, many Christmas dishes contain onions or garlic, which can be toxic to dogs in large quantities. Additionally, bones from ham or turkey can splinter and cause gastrointestinal problems for dogs if they eat them. Therefore, it is important to keep all Christmas food out of reach of your dog and to only give them pet-safe treats during the Christmas season.  

By being aware of the hazards that exist and taking some precautions, you can make Christmas a safe and enjoyable time for all the family – including your four-legged friend. Do you have any top tips for keeping dogs safe at Christmas? Share them with us in the comments below. 

Previous post Next post